The School with its sister institution at JHELUM came into existence after the
First World War with a generous donation of Rs 2.5 lakhs from King George V’s Patriotic Fund.
The foundation stone of the school was laid by the then Prince of Wales in Feb 1922 and the School
started functioning at JALANDHAR CANTT in 1925.
This institution was founded with the aim of imparting free education to the sons of JCOs,
NCOs and ORs to prepare them for the various Army Examinations including the Indian Special
Certificate of Education. The entire curriculum was based on Military requirements with English as medium of instruction.
The strength of the school was 250 and the staff consisted mostly of Military personnel.
During the World War-II the school was designated as College.
One hundred more boys (then called cadets) were admitted under the expansion scheme.
The conditions of admission were relaxed in as much as to the near relatives of Army Personnel
and admission was thrown open to all branches of Armed Forces. The college was thrown open to all branches of Armed Forces.
The college was affiliated to the Punjab University for the Matriculation and Inter-mediate examinations.
This institution produced a large number of Officers. The college was renamed as King George’s school and shifted to
NOWGONG (Bundelkhand) in August 1952 where it was housed in ‘Old Kitchner College buildings.
After Independence it was felt that these schools should impart liberal education and should have a wider social basis.
Consequently the schools were reorganized in Sep 1952 and half of the seats of total of 300 were thrown open to the full
fee paying ie. Sons of civilians and Armed Forces Officers.
The school has again been renamed as MILITARY SCHOOL, CHAIL with effect from 01 Jan 1966.
Boys are now prepared for Senior School Certificate Examination of the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi
under 10+2 scheme and it is no longer obligatory for them to join the Defence Forces.
Motto. The motto of the school is embodied in the Sanskrit words :
"SHEELAM PARAM BHUSHANAM"
To know more about the school, click on the following URL: